View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:14 PM

Hello, I'm sorry about your Gran. I am also new to this, but have a similar situation with my father, also 69. He was found to have low counts across the board too. His 1st bone marrow biopsy back in October was also inconclusive. However, his platelets got so low on Thanksgiving that he was hospitalized and given lots of blood too. A second bone marrow biopsy was done and we finally got the complete results this week. Initially, there were abnormalities found in the DNA but they weren't sure what. The sample was sent to a more high tech lab where a more conclusive dx was made. He has MDS and begins Vidaza on Monday. I am quite scared too. Just trying to learn all I can and came across this forum. It has helped a lot.

It has helped that we at least found out what it is and can begin some sort of treatment. But the more I learn, the more worried I get. His platelets only went up to 51 yesterday after transfusion. I hope he can be strong enough to get through his treatments.

I hope you get some (good) news on your Gran and she can be helped as soon as possible.