View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 7, 2014, 07:11 PM

Family Member Diagnosed With Aplastic Anemia. Help?

Hello,
I am new here because I want to know more about Aplastic Anemia. Someone of my family has been diagnosed with it recently and I want to help him with everything I can. I've been searching Google for information, and while the basics are clear, the rest is still a little vague.

Like the life expectancy. One website said 3 months if it's left untreated, another said 2-5 years if you get a bone marrow transplantation, and the next one said 66 weeks if left untreated. So what's the right number? I know it's probably different for everyone but can't I get at least some kind of guess?

The one diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia is only 17 and he doesn't want to get treated. He's always been a little suicidal and has been depressed for a long time and I'm afraid I won't be able to convince him to get treated. What if he doesn't? Will he die? I read that they could give you blood transfusion, but is that enough? Can he be cured with pills alone? Please, help me.. Tell me something that isn't on the basic websites...