View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 01:19 PM

K2

I am one of the lucky people who has responded dramatically to vitamin K.

When I was v ill in desperation I googled "myelodysplasia+vitamin" to see what would come up as suggestions, and found various Japanese clinical trials.

I have had gut problems for years and was recently diagnosed with a condition called Bile Acid Malabsorption (which took much hassling to get them to test for). This causes loss of fat soluble vitamins especially vitamin K.

Interestingly, as someone with a pre-existing malabsorption condition I would not have been eligible for any of the Japanese trials into vitamin K and MDS. I suspect that a if they ran those trials again with their excluded patients they would have had even more significant results.

I am saving up to do this test https://www.23andme.com/health/Warfa...in-Sensitivity
Some people have mutations on the VKORC1 gene which affects their ability to utilise vitamin K. At present this is only used to check how much warfarin (coumadin) to give people, but I wonder if this test might help weed out MDS patients who might benefit from extra vitamin K.

I would not be surprised if mutations on the VKORCI gene + small bowel malabsorption = "idiopathic" MDS.