Thread: Induction Chemo
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 9, 2010, 09:56 PM

Induction chemo

Hi,
I've just come out the other end of induction chemo, currently day 35. And with treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital in Canada, this is my relative point of reference. There is no question that every patient was handled as a unique case, the way we responded to the chemo drugs as well as everything used to counterbalance any negative effects. The doctors and nurses I dealt with all knew what was going on with me at all times, and I was in constant discussion with them about the process. I had many difficult times with pain & discomfort, disorientation, loss of appetite and drug side effects where the cure was much worse that the affliction. I had a nagging fever issue that turned out to initially be a side-effect of an anti-fungal drug ('Ampho' or Amphotericin, I believe)I was on, then subsequently an antibiotic. 'Drug fever' is how the doctor finally referred to it, but it caused me 10 days of discomfort. Of course over that time my counts increased to where now I am in remission. Mind you I still have 2 'consolidations' and a transplant to look forward to.
I wrote a blog about the my experience at PMH, which is certainly the best facility in Canada.

hcrengager.wordpress.com

I hope some of this helps.
Best of luck,
Mark Rutherford