View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 5, 2013, 09:40 AM

Newly Diagnosed 8 yr old son. ANC and platelets all over the place.

Hello,

On 26 April, I ended up taking my 8 yr old son to the hospital after he, his older brother (10) and my husband had a horible upper resporatory virus. Both boys looked like they were punched in both eyes for a month with the periorbital circles around their eyes. Eventually my older son got better and my younger one didn't. He was also very tired and very pale. At the hospital his hemoglobin was 2.7, platelets 7, and WBC 2.2. He did test positive for a rhinovirus/entervirus, and on the HHV-6 PCR. His ANC was around 650. He had a bone marrow biopsy in the hospital the showed 10% cellularity but was encouraging because it showe only 33% lymphcytes in the marrow (it was 75% in the blood) and percursors of recovery.

It has been 5 weeks and he has been all over the place. During his week in the hospital his ANC would jump daily from 630, to 450, to 775, to 835, to 520. Two weeks ago his ANC stayed in the 200-350 range. He did have a weird jump that the doctors though was a mistake in the machine but now I'm thinking not:

13 May: ANC 350
15 May: ANC 630 (4 pm)
16 May: ANC 200 (9 am)

He was recently improving and then bottomed out again yesterday. Here are his recent counts for the last week and a half:

21 May: ANC 520
24 May: ANC 720
28 May: ANC 780 - had made 37K platelets over the weekend for a total of 70k (33k was left on 24 May from last transfusion - first time making platelets)
31 May: ANC 390 (6k platelets)
4 June: ANC 168

Has anyone ever seen numbers like these before? I was wondering if anyone else has. Our doctors say that they haven't. They decided to do another biospy yesterday but I'm not sure what that will tell them, as it's a pinpoint in time and we know he's not doing well.

He is also now developing petechie a lot this week around his face, ears, and neck for the first time in the 6 weeks this has been going on. It's spreading today but my doctors aren't concerned - I'm not sure how long to let it go. He had 32k platelets left from the last transfusion yesterday, but had another biopsy yesterday, and our next appt isn't until Fri.

My older son has been tested to see if his bone marrow matches my younger son's for a transplant, but it doesn't.

Thanks!