View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:05 PM

MDS versus low blast/smoldering leukemia

I went to Johns Hopkins yesterday for a consult, sent by my local hematologist/oncologist after BMB indicated likely RAEB with approx 10% blasts and trisomy 8. I was shocked when the Hopkins doctor (Dr. Jones, co-director of their transplant program) told me he thinks I actually have AML (low blast/"smoldering") and recommends I start standard tx for AML (induction chemotherapy) as soon as possible! My local doc has spoken with the Hopkins guy - and he is suggesting has suggested I take my BMB slides to see another local hematologist/oncologist to weigh in. I have an appt. on Monday.

What I've read so far online is that there is really a blurry line between MDS with excess blasts and AML. So far my red cell counts have not been much affected - mostly white cells (told my neutrophil count was 410 yesterday - down from 900 last week). I

Apparently AML can sometimes be cured with chemo and that if I choose that option it doesn't rule out transplant at some point in the future if I need it. So, its sounding like I may be starting chemo for AML in the near future. The guy from Hopkins would have had me admitted to their hospital as soon as possible, but they are about an hour and a half away. Considering doing it at a local hospital (Virginia Hospital Center or Inova Fairfax) for convenience and since it would be standard therapy.

Yikes. Does anyone else have any thoughts about or experience with this particular diagnostic distinction? They may take BMB on Monday to take another look (last one done 11/7). Thanks, Kelly