View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:32 PM

MDS to AML

Thanks for the replies. I saw another hematologist today (he runs the transplant program at Inova Fairfax hospital. He agrees with the Hopkins doctor that whatever we decide to call my marrow condition at this point in tiime, the best approach is to start treatment fairly soon. This would be induction chemotherapy for AML, a break, then either more chemotherapy or transplant at that point. He feels we should be working toward transplant so I, my sister and brother will be having our blood checked to see if one of them could be a good match.

I will have another BMB tomorrow to check on progression since last one (11/7). Unless blast percentage is considerably higher (like 50% or above; which would mean hospital right away), I will be starting treatment at Fairfax Hospital (about 20mins from my home) sometime after Christmas. I feel good about the decision to do the tx locally at this point, since I know several people (doctors, nurses) who work there and I think they would look out for me!

Thanks for your thoughts and support. Kelly