View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 12:06 AM

change in diagnosis? :confused:

So I posted a few months back in the AA forum, I had low blood levels (but not too low) and was being treated with Prednisone and CellCept. Since then my levels have increased incrementally, and I am now at 12.3HgB, 126 platelets, 2.26 Neuts. My diagnosis has been some kind of hypoplastic anemia.

I was living overseas and have since relocated back home to California; and I spent yesterday afternoon with my new hematologist. Well, the folks here think I may have MDS instead, referencing some tear-shaped cells they saw in my blood films. They point to consistently high retic counts to discount AA. But they're not sure and they want to run some more tests and perhaps do a biopsy...in a month's time (after I'm tapered off prednisone/CellCept).

I'm just real confused (and scared), and the constant frustrating things going through my mind are:

1) Can't someone just decide what disease I have? Maybe it's something else completely unrelated, and

2) I'm in my 20s!! (waaaay too young for this)...can people my age even get MDS?