View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 02:50 AM

Hi Tytd,

Hm, if Dr. Sekeres thinks that if vidaza has no effect then dacogen won't either, I wonder if it's because he thinks vidaza is the superior drug? I'll have to give that a listen. Thanks!
My father was on vidaza for 4 months the first time. We saw no improvement in any counts, and he needed weekly transfusions. A BMB then indicated aplastic anemia, and he was on ATG and cyclosporine for a few months. A new BMB then indicated MDS again. The doc guesses the vidaza did it's job of removing abnormal cells temporarily, causing the AA diagnosis several months ago.

Hi Birgitta, my fathers last WBC was at 0.5. A few months ago he had a few injections of leukine, but our doc is reluctant to give it again. Promacta sounds great, but I'm a bit scared of drugs that are only in the clinical trial phase. I hope it turns out to be as effective as it sounds.

Congratulations Ann! Looks like procrit and vidaza are a great combo for your husband. Having MDS, congestive heart failure and emphysema is tough, but having improving counts now is a great sign.
Son of 70 yo; diagnosed MDS 11/2008, treated with vidaza; diagnosed AA 3/2009, treated with ATG, cyclosporine and exjade; rediagnosed MDS 7/2009, restarted with 2 cycles of vidaza, but currently halted treatment of both vidaza and exjade due to severe effects from the drugs.