View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 03:33 PM

refractory thrombocytopenia

Hello Bob and mother,
I know exactly what your mother is going through as I will likely find myself facing a similar situation in the future. I wish I could give you and your mother a good answer but refractory thrombocytopenia remains a clinical challenge. My platelets are low at 20k but have not yet reached the point of needing platelet transfusions. I also did not have any blasts or chromosome abnormalities in the BMB but was reported to have mild dysplasia. They tried me on a few week trial of Prednisone to make sure I did not have an immune mediated ITP which was unsuccessful. I too, have debated about Vidaza if it comes to the point that I need something and I think it is certainly an option but I wonder like Birgitta does as to whether a clinical trial with Promacta or "off-label" use of it might be better. Both options are fraught with "what-ifs". May I ask if your mother's bone marrow showed hypercellularity or dysplasia in all cell lines? Also has your mother's MD had much experience with MDS or Vidaza?? Please keep us informed as to how she does and I wish her the best of luck. Tytd