View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 6, 2010, 02:32 AM

Update on my Mom

My mother started on her Vidaza treatment early February (7 day cycle w/weekends off). She was also given a weekly shot of Procrit and a daily injection of Neupogen (about 21 days straight, with very little or no increase WBC). All her counts got extremely low: RBD below 2, platelets below 10, WBC below 1. About 3 weeks into the first cycle, she caught a virus and was hospitalized for over a week. At this time she was receiving platelets transfusion every 2-3 days. After she recovered from the hospital, she started her second cycle about a week ago at half the regular dosage. She also signed up to get Nplate, if things got worse w/her platelet. During this time we finally got an appoitment to see Dr. Paquette at UCLA medical. He said that our BMB report did not include a cytogenetic study and FISH report and couldn't make a diagnosis. He also became suspicious of the fact that my mother joint stiffness in her wrist preceded her low blood count symptoms. He was amazed at how stiff her wrist is. He looked for some ANA report, but again wasn't in the medical records provided. My mother did remember in May that an ANA was done and it came out abnormal. Dr. Paquette contacted our hematologist and my mothers Dr. stopped the Vidaza treatement on the 3rd day and ordered more test to see if an autoimmune disease may also be part of this. What is interesting is that my mother accidentally continued with the Decadron (premed for chemo ), which is also used to treat antoimmune disease and at her last CBC, her platelet was holding pretty high at 60. Not sure if it is the Vidaza or Decadron working, or something else. But not being able to find the exact diagnosis has been frustrating. I'm hoping these battery of new tests will reveal something. She is now seeing a Rheumatologist.