Thread: Fevers, anyone?
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 12:12 PM

Fevers, anyone?

Hi all,
Well, as I have said before I have been fighting a fever since Labor Day weekend. Spent a week in the hospital; no change. Had been been 99-101, but yesterday evening went up to 102, when I took 2 XS Tylenol and sweated it out in 2 hours. Woke up at 3am to 103.8 and was like....

So, took 2 more Tylenol, laid awake pondering what to take to the hospital, sweating it out and waiting till 6 am to call my doctors, and a friend to drive me to ER. (Hey, why should everybody have to be up at 3 am?)

Surprisingly, both my Oncologist and Inf Dis Drs said "don't go to hospital"...
Just get outpatient cultures on Monday. Now, I thought this fever was pretty significant, but I guess they figure since I've done this dance before, just to lay low, rather than risk being in hospital, with serious infection risks.

I had no rigors, an am basically symptom free, except for the fatigue associated with a constant fever and I guess that since these Drs both know me pretty well by now, they don't see a problem with taking it as it comes and using common sense. Since I live alone, I worry about it getting too high to risk a seizure or something....but althought I did survive a 107 fever once, due to sepsis......but that created major body havoc..do NOT want to go back there..

I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything like this, or has any input. I consider this mostly a neutropenic fever, as there is no known origin.
I am supposed to start Revlimid and wonder if this fever will be an issue.
And fevers in general, I am having a hard time accessing any good info on the web....just generic stuff. (Any of Birgitta's magic resources? )
How high is too high? What serious symptoms should I look for? Could this be viral? (my suspicion)
I keep on drinking vitamin water and eating well and hoping this too shall pass!
Thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly