View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 30, 2013, 05:28 PM

My husband started with NHL in 2001: early CNS involvement, numerous chemos (including intra-thecal methotrexate directly into the brain/spinal fluid), recurrences, surgeries, radiation, BMSCT 2008 . . . so he has the treatment-related MDS and is a higher risk level. There are so many mental issues with all of this . . . he definitely has the chemo "brain fog" mentioned, has occasionally forgotten my name for up to a week, goes into delirium with stress, temperature, and/or many pain meds, and seems to have some dementia going on. Yeah, I think it's all related in some way. If nothing else, the worry, stress, and exhaustion of dealing with MDS is enough to drive anyone bonkers. Throw in low blood counts and whatever treatment may be going on . . . I don't know that there is a real medical relationship going on, does the MDS cause the mental issues? but they sure seem to go hand-in-hand sometimes.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].