View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 3, 2018, 11:45 AM
Owner

Denis,

Congratulations on your successful bone marrow transplant. It's too bad that you had such a a rough time getting through it. The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is fairly common, but dangerous when your immune system is suppressed. Sepsis is always dangerous.

Many people make return visits to the hospital while recovering from a transplant, and that can be very discouraging, but you got through it. Your age helped. A much older person might not have survived those complications.

You have made it to Day 100, and to the year 2018, so I hope your recovery goes really well from now on.

Your English is fine, and a lot better than my Slovak!

Marijuana has helped people with nausea during chemo, and with chronic pain. The effects of marijuana and alcohol after a transplant depend in part on whether you are still immunosuppressed and how far along your recovery has progressed. ProCon.org has some articles about medical aspects of marijuana. A recent article reports that it's still too soon to tell if cannabis is good or bad for people with a weakened immune system. I'd avoid smoking marijuana if you have any respiratory problems or if you develop any respiratory problems.

I just read that alcohol can harm recovering bone marrow, and can harm the liver too. I'd get an OK from the doctor before drinking alcohol.