View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 8, 2014, 12:09 AM

My first BMB, I didn't have an IV. Since I found my MDS diagnosis from a kidney stone attack (and blood test CBC) I had a few extra Vicodin left over. I took a couple of them about an hour before the BMB (is that cheating?). I felt very little pain and then they did the local with the Lidocaine. The only thing I noticed was that this big person doing the BMB was having trouble speaking as he was working. After it was over, I looked at him and his face was all red with a few drips of perspiration on his forehead. Then he muttered something about really hard bones.

The difference with the drill was that there was no pushing pressure. He also said they get a much better sample with the drill. I still don't feel any pain nine hours later. I'm looking forward to getting my results that will most likely determine my transplant schedule. Insurance said "no problem" for the estimated $433,000 procedure. I thought that was a big number.