View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 1, 2011, 01:21 AM

I think they do drop on their own, although very, very slowly. I had a total of around 69 blood transfusions when I was really sick with AA. I can't quote my ferritin levels at the time without going through my ton of records, but I do know that I was getting close to needing chelation therapy when I finally became transfusion independant. I never ended up doing it. My last transfusion was in August of 1997. I've been transfusion independant all these years and in November 2010, they checked my ferritin levels. I was at 370. It's still higher than normal, but nothing to worry about. I do drink a lot of tea and my hematologist actually said that hot tea works better than cold tea for some reason. Don't ask me why. I have no idea.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil