View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 12:32 PM

Well that's an interesting twist Kamara. Pregnancy will place a huge burden on your nutritional requirements and since you had a possible B12 issue I would look into this aspect of your health. I will think about this a bit more and send you a private message with some other things to consider. Hopefully you got the one sent before.

As far diagnosing SAA, I have yet to find any recommendations to treat or classify Aplastic Anemia base solely on cellularity of a bone marrow biopsy. So please take this into consideration if your doctors bases his diagnosis solely on the biopsy.

Staging of aplastic anemia is based on the criteria of the International Aplastic Anemia Study Group (IAASG).

The IAASG staging criteria for blood is as follows:
  • Neutrophils less than 0.5 X 10 9/L
  • Platelets less than 20 X 10 9/L
  • Reticulocytes less than 1% corrected (percentage of actual hematocrit [Hct] to normal Hct)

The IAASG staging criteria for marrow is as follows:
  • Severe hypocellularity
  • Moderate hypocellularity, with hematopoietic cells representing less than 30% of residual cells

Severe aplasia is defined as including any 2 or 3 peripheral blood criteria and either marrow criterion. A subclassification has been developed in which individuals with neutrophil counts lower than 0.2 × 109/L are classified as having very severe aplastic anemia (VSAA). Patients in the VSAA group may show a better response to immunosuppressive therapy
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.