View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 12:59 PM

Hi Kamara,

I can understand your frustration with just wanting to put this disease behind you. I can also understand why your doctors are slow to proceed.

It is thought that major stresses to the immune system may be one of the contributing factors to AA or relapse. Stresses include major illnesses/viruses, surgeries, and pregnancy.

The doctors took an oath to "first do no harm", and therein lies their struggle. It may be possible that your body is able to recover on its own without intervention. However, it is unclear what kind of recovery you will achieve on your own and whether your marrow will remain in its more fragile state.

You are young and that makes you an ideal candidate for BMT or ATG. However, these aren't benign treatments and typically aren't given if a person's AA is not severe. You were severe, but now you are not. Your doctors are likely debating whether it is worth the risk to have the treatment at this point.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer here. It takes a long time for the marrow to recover and the cellularity to improve (months/years). The counts will improve first.

I just want to say that I feel for your situation with wanting to move on in *some* direction. Hopefully, you will achieve some clarity soon!