View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 7, 2009, 03:52 AM

Diagnosis FINALLY!

Hurray, I think...although it is just the beginning of another LONG journey, at least we finally know what we are up against. My son was diagnosed in September MDS with Trisomy 8. His doctor was 80% sure that he wouldn't have any chomosome abnormalities (he had NONE with the prior 3 BMB)and had ordered him to undergo ATG therapy after his port was placed in his chest. That darn 20% was, of course, what my baby had to be in! They literally received the phone call from the lab the morning he was to be admitted into the hospital. Thank goodness for the FISH test! He was supposed to have had that done after his third BMB, the doctor had ordered it, but it wasn't completed. They are going back and doing it again to see if we caught the Trisomy 8 in the beginning stage or if it has been there all along. So, now that we have a diagnosis, we can beat this disease.

The only option is a Bone Marrow Transplant and I am still coming to terms with all that entails. He hasn't had any perfect prospects with potential donors. I am ok with waiting until they find the right one for him. His doctors don't seem to be in too big of a hurry as long as his numbers stay up. We have clinic tomorrow and will know more then. I wish we were facing this at a different time of year, and NOT FLU SEASON! The hospital where my son will be receiving his transplant is closed to anyone under the age of 12, unless they are a patient. They try to minimize the risk to the patients already in. Unfortunately, I have a younger child that requires my attention as well. We will learn to balance in the coming months, and accept all the help we can get! I am curious to know if there are any pediatric MDS cases out there that have survived a Bone Marrow Transplant? Thanks for taking the time to read our story.