Thread: AA and fainting
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 09:08 AM

Lightbulb Check your blood sugar.....

Hi mscrzy1~
I used to have situations like you describe from HYPOgylcemia....first I would feel clammy and then nauseaus, pounding heart, then I would have a buzzing in my ears, and sometimes even my vision would slowly disappear...then I would feel like I was going down. Until I sat down, or put my head beneath my knees. It felt like my blood pressure bottomed out. Hot weather, when I was exerting myself, like gardening, would exacerbate it.... And it started when I was 15, with no rhyme or reason.....these episodes became really pronounced after I had my 2nd baby and was eating a lot of pasta salad and fruit in order to lose the baby weight....breastfeeding too....also, I would fall asleep after eating sweets....like pancakes/danish in the morning for breakfast....(sugar with sugar on it!)

It took years to figure it out, but a friend suggessted I have a 3 hr glucose tolerance test, and sure enough, my blood sugar level had dropped to 40 (normal is around 100) and it triggered the symptoms. This is a bad situation, which diabetics have to worry about--LOW blood sugar...

Keep track of the sugars/artificial sweeteners you eat, especially on an empty stomach. All carb turn into sugars, but the fast ones are white ones...breads, pasta, flours, fruits..... Try eating a candy bar/big glass of juice on an empty stomach and see how you feel....if you start feeling weird after 30 minutes, you may have some sugar sensitivity.
Then try eating some whole grains (brown rice, lentils, oatmeal) and complex carbs/proteins/fats (nuts, olive oil) for a day and elimate all processed foods, soda, fast food (they hide sugar) and see how you feel. Just switching out sweet potatoes for white potatoes, brown rice for white rice, grain bread for flour bread, can all make a HUGE difference! And artificial sweetners are just as bad, as they fool your body. Small amounts of Stevia are ok....

After I got released from 2 1/2 months in the hospital, with all of the drugs, chemo, lousy food, etc, I went on a Macrobiotic diet (almost no sugar) and my Hypoglycemia went away after almost 40 years!!!!!!! I was addicted to sugar, and even now, if I eat it, it triggers cravings for more and more!

A whole food, plant based, organic diet can work wonders! Good luck!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly