View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 11:36 AM

Is there research on PNH and Toxic Chem?

Hello,

I am seeking research articles/papers/citations that show a possible link between exposure of toxic chemicals (namely Dioxin and Benzene) and acquired analytic anemia (PNH). I am a Vietnam Era veteran and been dx with 'stable' PNH in Jan/2014. My PNH still remains stable and my only meds prescribed so far was iron supplements and folic acid... so I am very grateful for that. My heart goes out to you who have and still are suffering from any of these Bone Marrow Diseases!

I have had significant exposure to Agent Orange during my Vietnam service (72-73) and even greater exposure to Benzene though my entire service years (70-74). I was a Jet Engine Mechanic in the USAF and my daily job duties put me at risk everyday. In addition all the military bases I was assigned to are now closed and deemed toxic Superfund cleanup sites, (Chanute AFB, IL, McConnell AFB, KS and George AFB, CA). I see on the MDS Marrow forum there is a lot of posts regarding AA and MDS and it relationship to toxic chemical exposure, but very little about PNH on this matter.

These diseases as you already know fall under the category of Bone Marrow Failure diseases... and it is a known fact Benzene damages cells in Bone Marrow... among other ailments. I have heard too much regarding Agent Orange (Dioxin) and it's effect on bone marrow dysfunction.

If you prefer to email me please feel free to do so at TLL414@aol.com, thank all of you who participate in my requests and on these forums!

Tom Lamb