View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2017, 08:25 PM

Please Help - What's 'Normal'?

My sister is 47 years old and was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia in December. She had been going through tests, etc. to figure it out for months and since November had been getting blood transfusions every 2 days because her platelets and cells were so low(2 transfusions each time). She had the AGT treatment (the horse one) about 2 weeks ago and was released from the hospital super fast. The ATG went well but once home she went downhill quickly. On 1000mg cyclosporine and 80mg methyprednison, plus some other drugs - can no longer walk (even ordered a walker off of Amazon believe it or not), her #'s have not improved at all and had to go back into the hospital as they had concerns for her liver. She is now on insulin because she has 'temporary' diabetes from the steroids and she was dehydrated so on liquids, she sounds like a 90 year old woman who walked 10 miles when she sits up even, she can barely pick up her cell phone. We were under the impression that the side effects for the AGT would be flu-like but this is not what we expected.

Has anyone had anything similar? We are new to this and we are looking for help understanding. Most posts I have read do not have these extreme challenges and so I am nervous something has gone wrong and none of this is 'normal'.