View Single Post
Old Sun May 6, 2012, 05:23 PM

its been 20 days since my release from Medical City. It has been 10 days since my last transfusion of any type. I have not received a red blood cell transfusion since the 23rd of April. Prior to this, I could not make it past 8-10 days without both reds blood cells and platelets.

The red line has held steady in the mid 3s.. the platelets in the teens and the white counts in the mid 2s. There hasn't been much improvement, but steady state is an improvement in-itself. The lack of decline is a significant step in this and while I don't want to get too optimistic, its important to note that the cells coursing through my system are mine now -- functions are low, critically low, but they are my growth which is what the hell which is ATG is supposed to start.

Theres been a lot of side effects with the ATG and/or the other medicines the've put me on. I'm still on huge doses of steroids. We are tapering down 10mg every 3 days, as of today thats 80mg of prednisone, 200mg (x2 daily) cyclosporin, Priolec, Nupogen, etc. Along with Lantus and Humilin R to control the medically induced diabetes.

My blood pressure was sky high coming out the the treatment. (see attached graph) and my bloodsugar level is still out of control during the day. Reaching 600+ at peak, before falling off to 90 by morning. This is probably of the most concern at them moment as its starting to effect other processes and having other side effects. The balancing act which is the human system is hard to control. You learn that more every day when going through something like this. Your bodies ability to regulate itself under normal situations is something to behold .. watching the physiological changes and feeling the effects of the ATG both good and bad and wishing there was something to do that would make things better, even knowing that this is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bp.jpg (48.4 KB, 23 views)