View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 4, 2008, 09:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme01 View Post
Thanks for pointing out that the bone marrow transplant would be the same as a stem cell transplant. I thought that with the stem cells you didn't have to knock out your own immune system but that with the bone marrow transplant that you had to have chemo (or similar)to knock out your immune system.
That's a separate treatment decision. The conditioning prior to a transplant can be a full regimen of chemo and/or radiation to try to destroy diseased cells, but that's hardest on the body.

There are also reduced-intensity transplants, sometimes called mini-transplants, with less conditioning. They rely on the the donor's immune cells to fight the diseased cells that remain. Since they are easier on the body, they can be used for patients who couldn't tolerate a full transplant, such as the oldest patients and those with other health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme01 View Post
Oh' by the way I have asked my doctor for the blood test results and he nods his head and says "no worries" but then promptly forgets. I only ever see him when I'm in hospital, I don't make appointments to see him in his rooms, so unless he tells the nurses that I can have the results, they can't let me have them without his permission.
You might have the doctor sign a note for the nurses that says you are entitled to copies of your blood counts. Then you can show the letter to the nurses each time, without the doctor having to bother for every visit.