View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 4, 2009, 01:54 PM

Unhappy Blocking of periods, low platelets and oral contraception

Hi all,
I am 7 months after splenectomy and 5 months after ATG on 300 mg CsA, my counts are rather low however they are steady for about 4 months: Hb – 8.4-8.9; WBC – 2.5; Platelets – 28-35
I was prescribed contraceptive pills to block my periods because of low platelets, I was taking them without stop for about 5 months, actually all this time I was having breakthrough bleedings so I decided to quit taking pills and have normal periods, they were very heavy and lasted for 10 days at least, after they are stopped, I have no more bleedings and wanted not to take pills any more, however my platelets went down to 18 and I had transfusion.
So I consulted gynecologist-hematologist and she told me to start taking contraceptives without stop again. She also told me one strange thing that on Csa I should take them till Csa is tapered otherwise I may have menopause beforehand
I am a bit confused, sounds strange, does anybody get in touch with similar problem? How your doctors cope with low platelets and periods?

Appreciate yr help,

Yuliya (27 years)