View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 9, 2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibogann View Post
Once a while, I go online to research on foods that can help increase platelets, as one significant indication of AA is the appearance of petechiea - which marks the onset of low platelets.

Today, I did the same and found out there has been a new discovery reported in The Star newspaper, Malaysia about increasing platelets using papaya leaves- when several doctors were trying to cure dengue.

As it is against this forum's policy to copy and paste entire articles from elsewhere( I learnt this very early on when this forum was started ), here are a few lines appended from the news report:

Doc: Papaya leaves can cure dengue

KUALA LUMPUR: Papaya leaves and pegaga (centella asiatica) juice are a possible cure for dengue fever, a recent study revealed.

It has been reported that many people consume papaya leaves or pegaga juice to increase their platelet count after they contract dengue fever.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets).

The study was initiated and led by Dr S. Kathiresan of AIMST University.
Green remedy: Researchers find the powder from papaya leaves contains substances that promote the production of platelets.

Dr Kathiresan said the leaves of papaya fruit were high in complex vitamins that might help bone marrow to rapidly increase blood platelet production...."

For those more technically inclined, this discovery is reported in the medical journals, and you can see an extract here, and also download the pdf as well:

Extract and PDF download

Hope this info is interesting and may be useful to some.
This is awesome news. But the only thing I was thinking is where do you buy this papaya leaf extract or powder. (or is the whole leaf?) Can you please tell us where to purchase it and how to consume it if you know already? And have you tried it yet? Thank you so much for the post =-)