View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

Hi,

I have MDS/MPD althought the MDS is certainly the more serious disease to have of the two.

When I had the very low Retic counts/%, it was when I was classified as having critically low hemoglobin/RBC's and I was receiving blood transfusions.

I have only done a small amount of researh into Retic counts, but it is my understanding that with a higher Retic count is when the body is trying to play catch up and produce more immature RBC's that will hopefully mature into RBC's. Anytime my Retic count has increased it has been after I have had a dip in the Hemoglobin and RBC's, which then also show an improvement.

But I am also on Valproic Acid as a treatment for the MDS (because only my RBC/Hemglobin) is effected at this time. The VPA does kick start the body into producing more RBC's, at least in my case it has worked very well and for a very long time, which isn't the norm.

As a side note, I also get my CBC's done every week, for a while it was only once a month then my bone marrow started to misbehave again. Therefore they started me back on the VPA treatment and weekly CBC's.

Good luck