View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 06:06 PM

Thinking of you

I'm cheering you on, David. I haven't posted in a few years I think, but I am one of those success stories you mentioned in an earlier post -- one who suddenly drops off the forums for no apparent reason. I do check in occasionally, but it's true that the farther in the past the transplant is, the less you think about it. I guess it's good that it recedes in one's memory.

My transplant was a complete success, and I hope that my outcome can help others try to remain positive as they face this scary procedure. Every case is different of course, and I don't want to make it sound like it was a bed of roses; it wasn't. My medical team almost killed me twice (just joking...kind of. Much as I love them, a couple of serious problems arose that could have been prevented.) Also, I was readmitted to the hospital two months after my transplant suffering from a serious infection, nocardia, in my lungs and brain. Fortunately it was treatable. So, almost five years out, I am doing great. I'm rooting for you and for everyone else facing transplant.
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.