View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 2, 2009, 02:47 PM

Day 147

Since I posted last I had yet another CT scan, and got the results through last week - there are still 2 liver lesions remaining, so I have to carry on with the Caspofungin (though today, FINALLY, the home care started so the nurse is coming to me on T/W/F and I only have to go in to the hospital on Mondays and Thursdays since they can't do blood counts from home).

Buuuuuut, there's two new spots on my lungs. So they put in a request for a lung biopsy last week, and actually fit me in yesterday! Holy crap that was fast! Usually they insist you stay overnight the night before and the night after the biopsy, but the surgeon came and looked at me and that I was otherwise healthy and young and let me sleep in my own bed instead! Hurrah! So I did it as a day patient, even though it was way more hardcore than the liver, skin, and even bone marrow biopsies I've had previously.

It's under general anaesthetic (which I've only had once before when I was 15 for foot surgery) and they made two incisions on my right side to jam a camera in and take postage stamp sized sample. I was expecting stitches, but it looks like they might have used surgical glue instead (one's on my back and the other is under my boob so it's kinda hard to see). Anyway, the pain is alot better today - the take home painkillers they gave me work pretty well if I don't move too much, and I can at least breathe today without it hurting (post-op yesterday was AWFUL even with the morphine). And I'm happily keeping food down today - yesterday after being nil by mouth for nearly 21 hours, my stomach having anything I was giving it. I even barfed out the car window on the way home, right next to an entire bus full of people in the next lane! How mortifying!

So I should hopefully know the results of the biopsy next week. They think it's probably fungal, but they're severely limited in what antifungals they can give me since I'm allergic to two (ambizome & intraconozole) and posiconozole isn't strong enough. So they're going to wait and see what Microbiology say, but it may just mean upping my Caspo dose, since this cropped up despite the daily IVs for the past two months.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)