View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2014, 12:48 PM

Hi Marlene,

Sorry for the late reply, I should subscribe to this thread.

I had my microbiome tested through American Gut. My results were way different from the average. I basically had bacteroidetes, firmicutes and not much else. However, I don't know how accurate the testing is. I saw one report of someone who tested through 2 different companies - same time, same sample, and got 2 different results.

I am on a treatment that strengthens my immune system, and because of it, I feel worse than I normally would, and things that might not affect someone else seem to affect me a lot. So when I went whole-hog on yogurt, fermented foods, and potato starch, I really felt it in the way of extra symptoms like fatigue.

I had to quit that for awhile because I started getting mouth ulcers so bad all winter. They are only now calming down. Yogurt really burned and I had a hard time eating with so many ulcers, 3 or 4 at a time all at once. Then when they'd go away, new ones would come up. Eventually someone told me about a product called canker-rid and that is the only thing that worked on them (bee propolis in alcohol).

The effect I had with potato starch was the best. It really helped me sleep like a log, I have not slept this well in years. I used to mix it with the yogurt. It is high in resistant starch which is a type of fiber that feeds your gut bacteria. Anyway, now I am drinking 2c green juice a day with 1T raw uncooked potato starch in it. My gut seems to be improving too, for the most part, I don't get diarrhea anymore even with taking exjade, unless I eat something I shouldn't. Figuring out what that is is sometimes a challenge.

My skin feels amazing (from the juicing), and my dr thinks I am doing great, but my blood counts are still pretty bad. Last time my platelets were 21 and WBC was 0.6 with Neuts at 0.2. I am still going for red cell transfusions.

I have never been told I should eat a neutropenic diet, and this year we are growing a load of veg in the back yard. The hematologist gave me famvir for the mouth ulcers but by the time I got that, the canker-rid had worked so I didn't bother.

Deb