View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 1, 2013, 12:50 PM

Tamara,

I'm so very sorry for your loss but thank you so much for sharing your story. It's only through information like your mom's that we who are deciding whether a BMT is the right choice for our family members can make a more educated choice. In my husband's case, the doctors act like it's a definite to go to transplant immediately. When he wanted to try Vidaza and Aranesp first they were shocked. Why wouldn't you jump at the chance to prolong your life with a transplant and the only chance for a cure? But they sometimes don't give the complications a heavy enough weight in the decision. All the research in the world doesn't show the personal side like these posts.

In the short time I've been on this forum I have seen good outcomes but watching Paul, Cam and others like your mom has kept our minds open to other options. Like Sandi said so eloquently, I don't want to wonder after the fact if we made the wrong decision in rushing to transplant rather than enjoying the time we have now.

It's a brave thing you all do sharing your experiences. Thank you and know we are thinking of you. I think your mom would be proud of you in sharing her story and helping others.