View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 24, 2016, 06:22 PM

Hi Chandra - I'm not sure I noticed you were also having some instability along with the pain. I suspect the squatting doesn't help -

Your post reminded me of an ointment called Topricin - it is supposed to relieve pain and inflammation and was recommended to me by a friend/coach/distant runner when I pulled something in my calf when I was still healthy and coaching - it worked great! I think I'll try it for my neuropathy and pain in my neck - you might try it on your knees - its does't just mask pain, but makes it go away - I think by reducing inflammation - it doesn't smell or burn. I think I'm going to go get some now!

You might also try a neoprene sleeve to provide some compression and support and improve stability - might be useful for all the bending you do.

Last, I almost always wear a good running shoe - with cushioning in both the toe and heal (I haven't run for a while, but when I'm ready I'll have the shoes . Given your activities, a good cross trainer might work better - you want something that is well cushioned and provides some stability - If there is a good running shoe store in your area they should be able to help - not so much a big chain - but there you can just look for the cushioning and how it feels and fits. They have shoes designed to work with how you run/walk whether you come down flat or come down more on the side of the foot - pronate - Wearing good shoes designed for the way you walk/run can be really helpful and may take some strain off the knees, especially if you pronate. I like Aasics (Nimbus, which is not for pronation) - but the most important thing is the fit and whether or not you need a shoe for pronation
Don't cheap out - good shoes are really important!

To see if you pronate, look at how your shoes wear out - if they wear on the side then you probably pronate.

Wouldn't it be nice if you just have an ordinary sports injury completely unrelated to your transplant!

Let me know how it goes.

Best,
p
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015