View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 5, 2014, 04:02 PM

Scootin,

First and formost, you will have to be there for both your son and daughter in law, I'm not quite sure if there are grandchildren in the picture, which would make them priority number one (This coming from a father of three)...

Both of my parents are passed, and my in laws have been wonderful in supporting my wife take care of our three school aged children... (9-14 Years of age)... My wife spent 80% of my hospital stay with me, except for a week she was sick...

As for your son, I would strongly suggest that he contact his human resources department (in writing) and let them know that he is sick and may need to go out on disability, I don't believe that they can fire him once they are informed, they must give him reasonable accommodation (depending on the size of the company)... He may have decent benefits that may help him should he not be able to work, ie. Long Term Disability, Salary continuance, LT care, etc... My company pays for my healthcare for up to 2 years while I'm out on disability...

You state that he has Hepatitis induced Aplastic Anemia(AA), I've never heard of "Hepatitis induced", but I am assuming they have treated the underlying Hepatitis? I know they test for Hepatitis before a bone marrow transplant(BMT), and admit I'm not quite sure how this impacts moving toward a BMT...

Also how far / how bad is his AA, do you know any of his statistics, Red Blood Cell count, White Blood Cells, Platelets, hemoglobin?

Best of luck to you, and God Bless you and your Son...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)