Thread: My Dad and MDS
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:54 AM

Hi Wayne and thanks for your post. Yes, my dad does huff & puff, and they do have records of all his blood readings, but both my mom and dad make me feel like I'm butting into their business if I ask any questions. My brother and I talked last night, and he was asking me what type of MDS my dad has, and I can't answer that either. But I will ask to get the information as you suggested and see if I can make heads or tails out of it - I am sure through my friends here, I can get more answers, and it's all a big help to me!

My dad is currently starting round 3 of vidaza - are you familiar with that? He is going to go for the 4 sessions and see if he has any results or feels better. I am thinking Dacogen might be a better idea from what I have gathered here, but I can't make my dad do anything. I agree with what you say about people and their doctors. My dad has a hemotologist in Niagara falls, and yes, he is familiar with MDS and is said to be a very good doctor. I have met him, I like him and to a degree, I trust him. But in general, I don't trust doctors a whole lot. I am very picky about doctors, but I believe God works through man, and I have been blessed by a select group of doctors who fit that profile. They care. I am sure this doctor cares about my dad, but I think there's a lot my dad can do to help himself as well - would you agree?

Can you tell me - does a positive attitude help much with this disease? My dad's attitude is terrible, and he says he is dying and "whatever happens happens".... I don't believe it's such a terrible thing that he should give up so easily? Unfortunately, I'm limited to how far I can go and his life is really not in my hands. I am here to gather knowledge and because I care, and I take the suggestions and advice here seriously. Subsequently, I thank you and please - keep me informed! When I get those numbers, I will share them, because I'm quite sure I won't have any clue what they mean....

God Bless You!