View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 06:29 PM

I ended up in UC after carefully considering PSL and UC. DanL choose PSL so you might ask him also. My reasoning as follows in sort of random order of importance.

US News ranked UC #1 in CO PSL #9 see http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...NC&distance=25

PSL does more transplants. UC says their program started more recently and is ramping up.

UC in safer looking newer area with better parking.

UC has more research and clinical trials.

Hospitals can take weeks to months to share data. I did clinical trial at UC and was not sure how long it would take my data to get to PSL

We found free lodging for the 3 months we would have to stay in Aurora. Both places were less than a quarter mile to UC, 5 to PSL.

Dr. Pollyea, I think, is primarily a research doctor. He did my clinical trial. Dr. Gutman was my SCT doctor. They were both very thrifty with their words. Not much bedside manners. Both have excellent reputations as doctors. To an extent other UC professionals such as PA's made up for some of that. Dr. Nash from PSL is somewhat older, has an excellent reputation and was recommended by my brother in law. Dr. Nash gave the impression that a team of 9 doctors consulted on you case and they all saw you. UC seem to have a smaller team and except for a brief stay in the hospital I only saw Dr. Gutman.

Both hospitals seem to have 1 year survival rates around 70%.

I may seem biased toward UC, but it was a close call. In the end Dr. Nash seemed like a nicer guy but I was concerned with record sharing and familiarity between the patient and the staff and visa versa that UC had after doing clinical trial.

Who knows if I made the right decision. But UC brought me back from the brink of death where Poudre Valley couldn't seem to help.

By the way I suspect he will be having a SCT rather than a BMT.

I had WBC and ANC counts less than 0.1 or not measurable. Platelets were as low as 11. This didn't seem to concern anyone.

In case you are interested the hospital billed just over a million dollars for my care. Medicare paid about 100,000 or ten cents on the dollar. Without insurance not many could afford the hospital rate. In my case there was little that Medicare did not settle on.

Ray