View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 06:37 PM

Vidaza working great so far

I am responding very well to Vidaza - saw positive results after a single cycle and amazing results after two. I'm on a 5 consecutive day, subcutaneous injection regimen with 23 days between injection cycles. All injections have been in my stomach. I've experienced minimal side effects - constipation (relieved with stool softeners) and injection site irritation (1-1/2" diameter red welts that dry and peel over about 10 days and fade out after a couple of months). I take one tablet of the anti-nausea drug Ondansetron 30 minutes prior to each treatment and have not experienced any nausea.

My biggest fear is that the Vidaza will stop working! The longest I've heard of anyone being on it is 55 cycles, nearly 5 years! However, I don't know the specifics about that person's MDS. My oncologist is pushing for a bone marrow transplant but I don't have a related donor and am not ready to take that large step.

Anyway, I know how hungry I've been for information and really appreciate these forums. I'd be happy to answer any questions from my personal experience thus far.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com