View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 10:39 PM

I was a little disappointed today. My numbers are still quite good, especially compared to what they were when dx'ed but the platelets dropped back out of the normal range again. I thought I had the Vidaza cycle figured out regarding effects on blood counts but this is opposite from last cycle's behavior. In my first two cycles, my white counts were up and my reds and platelets down immediately after the treatment week and then steadily rising during the time off and my whites declined slightly midway through the time off and then started climbing again by the end of the time off. This time, my highest reds and platelets were immediately following the treatment week and the whites have climbed gradually with no dips. I know that reduced platelets are common with Vidaza but I wasn't expecting the drop after they rose so dramatically during the second cycle...got all the way up to 265k and am now back down to 132k. Of course, that still sounds great compared to the 19k they were pre-Vidaza! My doctor does the CBCs weekly and the CMPs monthly. Next week, I start cycle number 4.

Counts 3 wks after 3rd cycle: WBC 7.0k/Hgb 12.9/Hct 37.2/Plt 132k
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com

Last edited by mausmish : Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in plt value