View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:21 PM

Recent ATG patient

Hi there,

I guess I can answer some of your questions.

The hospital stay for ATG can range from a week to two weeks or more depending on whether you have any side effects. I was in on a Monday and out the next Sunday. Not too sick, it just konked me out for the week. I felt WAY worse the next few weeks and then I came out of it.

As far as a cure...what is a cure? This is something that doctors talk about a lot. If you define cure as her counts going back to a normal/near normal range and her being able to live a normal life...then yes, ATG can be very effective.

No matter how successful your treatment, this is a disease that you will need to keep an eye on for the rest of your life. For me, it has become part of the routine of life. Wake up, go grocery shopping, take the trash out, go to the gym, check my cyclosporine trough at the hemotologist's office, walk the dog.

I would suggest you keep in contact with other patients though. This can be a very lonely world at times and there are some things that only other AA patients can help you with.

Ryan