View Single Post
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 11:38 AM

macrocytosis

Hello Rachel,
PLEASE do not worry too much. I have had a high MCV for almost 3 decades with no treatment and did not have a bone marrow test done until less than 2 years ago. So try not to let your hematologist scare you. This is just my opinion and not meant to be specific medical advice, but I would suggest that if your CBC is completely normal except for the high MCV, I would just monitor your CBC from time to time and then get a bone marrow test only if your counts drop significantly or if you develop some kind of symptoms. I have heard the experts say that there is no advantage to diagnosing MDS in its early stages, at this point in time, because there is presently no treatment to prevent it. I see no reason to do a bone marrow biopsy if it will not affect your treatment, that is, if you have no anemia, no low white count,no low platelet count or no elevated counts. Try to get a copy of your CBC to see that everything else is normal as perhaps there is some borderline change in your counts that you don't know about. Make sure you are not taking any medications or alcohol that might affect your MCV and like Marlene said make sure that B12 deficiency has been completely ruled out. I would ask your hematologist if it were him and he had a normal CBC except for an elevated MCV, would he agree to a bone marrow biopsy or would he just monitor it with CBCs. Good luck.