View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 06:39 PM

MDS to AML

Hello Layl G;
I sent a response to your email. It's in your private message box.
My wife's high risk MDS since a year ago has transformed into AML.
It started with an increase in WBC since July this year from 7 x10^9/L to 77 today. Also a presence of blasts and aur rods in the peripheral blood. The pathologist did a blood smear and concluded AML arising in a high-grade myelodysplastic state. His reccomendations are for a BMB to confirm diagnosis, immunophenotyping by flow cytometry and cytogenics. Our Oncologist says confirmation isn't necessary since in her discussion with the pathologist there is very little doubt it's AML with the blood smear test. Aur Rods usually means AML although you can have AML without Aur Rods.
One could insist on a BMB and probably get it.
Platelets staying around 10 x10^9/L with 2 transfusions per week (refractory)
Hgb kept at 80 g/L with two transfusions per month. Doesn't seem to be changing.
Hydrea at 500mg once a day may be slowing down the WBC but it doesn't seem by a lot.
Platelets can be very low for some people like my wife and have little effect but everyone is different.
I asked our oncologist if the platelets are the final issue. She said no, it would be the ability to fight off infections because of the increasing number of dysfuncional WBC.
Hope this helps somewhat in the total picture.
Wife 63, June 2010 MDS (refr anemia - excess blasts type-2) PLTs 11,000/μl with giant forms 2 TF/wk. Hgb kept at 80g/l with 1TF per 2 weeks. 9% blasts 2 cytogenic abnormalities del(5)(q22q35) + inv(20)(p11.23q11.21) 3 cycles Vidaza no effect. June 2011 to AML WBC to 67 blasts and Aur rods in blood.