Thread: ATG Success
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 09:03 PM

ATG Success

I rapidly developed VSAA (within approximately 4 weeks) and had ATG (horse) in November 2012. By the end of November I was transfusion free - amazing and by the beginning of March I had completely normal blood results and still do. My hgb has caused me some issues and has been up and down a bit but otherwise things are relatively stable (RBC is constantly below normal but not drastically) so I feel incredibly lucky.

I am still on cyclosporine (tapering at the moment - currently 225mg a day) and was on cyclosporine and prednisone until March. I am pretty good at remaining positive but it is hard to let go of the fear of whether this crazy disease will ever come back. Like a lot number of us they have no idea what triggered my AA.

Apart from wanting to let people know that ATG can and does work I wanted to hear whether anyone has had similar success to me with ATG and whether they are still in remission or whether it has come back.

My doctors seem to think only about 5 to 10% of people achieve normal blood results on ATG and that the likelihood of relapse is 16 to 20%. I figure these are reasonable odds but still frustrating at times.

Good luck to everyone out there having ATG, having had ATG or contemplating it.