View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 27, 2014, 09:55 PM

Thank you and I did find out today that what they are going to do is start to take him off the anti-rejection meds. He is currently on 2 of them, one that lasts three days and one thay lasts a week in his system. They pulled him off the three day meds today and a week from now they will take him off of the other meds.

With this happening, they hope to see his platelet counts going up which means that his body is taking in the donor's stem cells. If the platelets do not go up 2 weeks after removing the anti-rejection meds then they will give him a booster shot of the donor's cells in hopes that his body will accept them without the meds.

When they remove each anti-rejection meds they hope to see a little bit of graft vs host. They don't want this to get too bad and go to the liver but if he gets it in a mild form and he can fight it off then that's great. Its just a very tricky process and I know that if he doesn't get over the graft vs host then that only leads to bad things.

So I do hope this is the way to go but he is waiting for another second opinion to make sure they would do the same. I want to thank everyone for your opinions and I am always looking for more opinions and hearing about other patient's stories. I do appreciate all of you thinking about my dad and keeping him in your thoughts! Lets hope he gets better soon! Time to be positive!