View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:34 AM

New to Forum ~ Prediction of Rate of Blasts Increasing

Hi, I am terribly new to this and hope I have posted in the right spot... I am a 36 yo female that began on this roller coaster 2 and a half months ago after I went to the doctors for a sinus infection and asked for a blood test because I was getting some random unexplained bruising. 5 hours later the doctors were telling me I had a platelet count of 61 and blasts in my blood and they thought that I had AML. Within the week I was told I had MDS-RAEB 1 with 7% blasts. Unfortunately the doctor was unable to get fluid from BMB to get cytogenic info that he wanted to get a IPSS score. One month after first BMB, I went for a 2nd BMB and needed a platelet transfusion because platelets were at 29. Once again I was told that he couldnt get fluid (said this was a mysterty?) however that my blasts had increased to 13% so even without that info I was in the Int 2 catergory and he wanted to start me on azaciditine and refer me to BMT team (already started testing on myself and 3 siblings).

My questions are about prediciting the progression of the blasts? my blasts have increased 6% in 4 weeks, so on average 1.5% in a week... since it has been 2 weeks since the 2nd BMB does anyone know if then my blasts would have increased to 16%? I am assuming that it will be a further 2 weeks until i start the azaciditine and if my blasts keeping rising at the same rate then I will be coming close to the magical 20%?? and especially if it takes a couple of cycles for the injections to work.. Does anyone know if blast increases can be predicted to follow the same pattern?? Also does the blasts in your marrow correlate to the blasts in your blood? will they know if the blasts increase to 20% from blood tests alone or only from BMBs??

wow.. i think that is enough questions for now.. hope it all makes sense... thanks for reading and hopefully someone might know some answers! Also thanks for the great forum, have found it very helpful in the last month and believe it or not reassuring