View Single Post
Old Fri May 6, 2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
Very good questions. If my AML relapses (again) we don't have an answer yet. It might depend on what mutations are involved and my age and health at that point. My situation of a relapse to AML+Philadelphia chromosome (9;22 translocation) is very rare and almost all (from all the studies) people die within 10-12 months or much sooner. I am going on 15 months and feeling great (golfed 18 holes yesterday and pulled weeds for an hour first thing this morning). I have my 17th BMB on Monday, so like all of us, we will be eagerly awaiting the results.

We talked at length about Vidaza or the DLI. We decided to try Vidaza first because I responded so well with it prior to the SCT. It immediately worked well (after the first two cycles) so we continued for 12 cycles. I have been in complete remission for the last 11 months. But (there seems to always be a "but" with these diseases) as we all know things and challenges are now a major part of our lives. I think the challenges can make us better people.

My relapse (AML +(9;22)) put me "off the flow diagrams so we are pretty much "winging it now". My doctors have reached out to other locations on several occasions for answers.

Your questions are good and I completely understand your thoughts at this time. Thank you for asking.
As always Bailie, Thank you for your wisdom and kindness with your responses. My dad did respond extremely well with the Vidaza but I don't know what the options are. I have been reading research about Vidaza and DLI and it sounds promising. He has a Duke appt. later in May to see what to do. My dad is a fighter and is up for anything!!
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.