View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 08:09 AM

the plan

So my dad has started induction chemo yesterday (cytarabine/idarubicin) for his relapse and will be receiving a DLI from my brother in a couple of weeks during his nadir. The doctors decided to do the induction chemo rather than Vidaza due to catching it early and hopefully "cleaning up" what is left from the cancer and boosting his % to my brother. The blast in his marrow is around 7% at the moment and normal cellularity. No dysplastic changes to the cells and 1% blast in the circulating blood. They wanted to be as aggressive as possible to hopefully still cure him. Dr. M considers this a salvage approach. I will be emailing the doctor from Duke today to see where chimersim was before this induction so we can have something to go by.

My dad has been dealing with a nasty HHV6 infection ever since his transplant so that makes me think that this virus has something to do with his relapse... His new immune system never had a chance to fight off the cancerous cells. He will still continue to receive gancyclovir for the infection and will probably get maintenance doses.

I also spoke to the doctor about doing some sort of maintenance chemo AFTER the DLI to make sure this crap doesn't come back. I keep hearing that Robin Roberts had Vidaza for 1 year after the transplant but I haven't seen that documented anywhere. I haven't seen too much data regarding this so if anything has any info that would be great.
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.