Thread: New to AA
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 2, 2007, 09:25 PM

Hi Donna,

A.Jae sounds like an amazing person - I'm so sorry she has been diagnosed with aplastic anemia. I am also a horse lover though I haven't ridden for years. I was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia when I was 24 years old - that was 27 years ago. Moderate AA can be a chronic condition for years, and A.Jae could lead a completely normal life as long as her counts are somewhere near the normal range. It is wise, though, to monitor her counts regularly so you can be on top of it if something changes.

I agree completely with Marlene that now is the time to do your homework - it will serve you well in the future if things change with A.Jae. Finding out if any of her siblings are a match for a potential bone marrow transplant is important, and could prove to be her "ace in the hole" if one of them is a match. I also agree with Marlene about being evaluated by Dr. Young at NIH. That institution is remarkable and Dr. Young's team and the work they do there is world class. If you decide to have A.Jae evaluated there, the AA&MDSIF will reimburse up to $500 of associated travel costs. (Let me know if you would like details about this) On the other hand, I would recommend you scrutinize the results of Dr. Brodsky's research very carefully before considering treatment with high dose cytoxan.

You'll find this site very helpful and supportive - just let us know how we can help.

best,
Andrea