View Single Post
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 09:48 AM

Question Getting Diagnosis?

I have been to several oncologists/hematologists in the Chicagoland area. The first oncologist I went to did blood work and told me he thought I had MDS and to come back in a year.

I didn't like that answer so I went to a teaching hospital in Chicago. I had a bone marrow biopsy and blood work completed. All the hematologist would tell me is I have bone marrow damage and thrombocytopenia. My wbc, rbc and platelets are all low. Everytime I went in for blood work to check my counts, I would ask the doctor if the counts had changed. She told me it was bone marrow damage and not MDS and basically to go somewhere else to get another opinion.

Presently I am at a second teaching hospital in the area. I go in for a bone marrow biopsy on May 21. My blood counts wbc, rbc, and platelets are all low with large rbc. I am also very tired. The hematologist I have now thinks it may be MDS, AA, or possibly some other blood disorder.

I am finding most of the teaching hospitals in the Chicagoland area don't have much experience in this area.

Is there a list of recommended doctors and hospitals so a person can get a correct diagnosis and treatment?

Also is there a support group in the Chicagoland area?

I have read there is a treatment of high-dose cyclophosphamide. Has anybody had experience with this treatment?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Helene