View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 01:11 PM

description of skin gvh

Dear relentless (live your pen name!!),

The skin GVH started about 3 weeks after I got home, I think. It started as a itchy rash on my wrists, under my breasts/upper abdomen, and in leg creases. Because it was NOT on My palms and soles, the on-call hematologist that saw me was more inclined to call it a skin fungal infection. We treated topically along with the oral I was already on. It continued to spread and before the week was out I was on steroids and making another trip to see my hematologist (fortunately both mine and the one who was on-call were both in the office that day).
I digress, it started as a red, bumpy rash--not always but not bright,but reddens with heat or flushing. Then it has turned a darker, almost tanned color, and the skin dries. Some areas (toes have turned almost purplish rash in the knuckles). Then the peeling begins; this is like dry flakey skin, not coming off in sheets.
Before we got it controlled with steroids, the itching was maddening and would wake me up at night.
We are having to taper the steroids very slow because more rapid dose decreases exacerbated my symptoms.

BUT, I know I'm very fortunate not to have ANY GI symptoms of GVH.