View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 06:44 PM

I think this is a very important question. Part of a human being's sense of value and meaning comes from how he or she is engaged in activities that are meaningful. I found that my energy level and cognition were so severely compromised in the early days of recovery after ATG and prednisone that I could not do many of the things I used to do. Even very simple things like walking to the corner were very hard... I used to have to rest 4 times in one block. It was a dark and depressing time. I think if I ever go through that again I will try to develop interest in more sedentary activities or a hobby to keep me engaged in something besides the state of my bone marrow. At the time, it was all new and pretty distressing not to know what was next for me. I laugh now, but I remember telling my husband I wish the nurses would let me do some filing or something useful! Fortunately I am much better and able to work and do some exercise now. At the time it was very hard tho and seemed that it would be that way forever....
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran