View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 1, 2011, 03:19 PM

My toe has no expiration date on it

So many things along this journey to remember, but one of my favorites is what more or less set the tone for my life. My first oncologist was supposed to be in touch with Moffitt Cancer Center as a consult for my chemotherapy. He wasn't, and when I found out, with much pushing he called. I was on the WRONG chemo! He had me on ESHAP and I should have been on Hyper CVAD. He stopped the first and admitted me to the hospital for four days of the second. It turned into 30 days with a stay in ICU. I had pneumonia, kidneys shut down, septic, temp of 105 and pulse of 238. Believe it or not they asked my husband if he wanted to call a priest he thanked them and said no, she will make it...and I DID. Wonderful, except when I got out the doctor said, "I'm going to put you on hospice and cut the chemo....you're not strong enough to take it and even if you made it through the chemo there's no way you'd make it through a BMT." THIS after I was just released from ICU! He also said I'd be dead by Christmas (three months). I went home and prepared for my lack of future. Then, after four days I said, "wait a minute, I'm calling that Doctor who confirmed my diagnosis at Moffitt Cancer Center". Dr. Eduardo Sotomayor refused to let me stop hoping and told me that I could make it. He put me through chemo at Moffitt only this time I was out in 5 days like it should be. After six arms I went into remission and had my BMT and was put under the care of Dr. Claudio Anasetti ~ NEVER could I say enough about these two wonderful, caring physicians. One year after my transplant I went to visit my former oncologist and when he saw me he almost fell over~ I told him, "This is the ghost of Christmas Past coming to say hello!" NEVER tell someone they are going to die, there is no expiration date on my toe! I am now two and a half years post transplant with testing due on Nov. 15. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers that all will continue to be well. Smile ~ life is good.